Coronavirus/COVID-19 Questions and Concerns? Click Here For Answers.
Stories & Testimonials


Ever since the summer of 2005, I noticed my vision and looks starting the inevitable trip “downhill.” My business requires me to work on a computer for most of the time, and I noticed that as the day progressed, it was getting harder and harder to keep my eyes open. I’d find myself propping my forehead with my hand to help keep my lids open.

In 2013, I scheduled a consult with Dr. Odinet to see what was happening and what could be done. After explaining my situation and telling Dr. Odinet that I also suffered from chronic dry eye, he told me my brows had collapsed. That was working alongside my sagging eyelids and dry eye condition to help cause my situation in the late afternoon. Dr. Odinet told me I would need a brow lift and upper and lower eyelid surgery.

I finally understood what was going on and could make plans. For personal reasons, it took another two years before I decided to “go for it.” I also decided I might as well have the bottom half of my face worked on at the same time.

The pre-op diagnosis in the spring of 2015: Dermatochalasia, upper and lower lids, brow ptosis, aging face.

The procedure: Subcutaneous brow lift, upper lid blepharoplasty, lower lid transconjunctival blepharoplasty, canthopexies (bilateral muscle slings) and orbicularis suspension and lower two-thirds facelift and liposuction of the neck and re-suspension of the neck muscles.

Here’s how it all worked out:


Pre-Op Appointment

Dr. Odinet told me what surgeries he would perform on me. The nurses told me to expect being out of the public for a week to 10 days. I would have soreness, blurry vision and would have to sleep sitting up. For two weeks before and two weeks after, I was on a strict vitamin/supplement regimen. No alcohol, smoking, etc. I was also told I would continue to see improvements throughout the first year after surgery.


Because I live out of town, I rented a room at the hotel just down the street from Dr. Odinet’s office. I requested a room on the first floor near the back entrance, so I wouldn’t “scare” the other guests with my wrapped head and puffy eyes. The nurses informed me I would need someone reliable and caring to be with me for the first two or three days, so I asked my husband to be there for surgery day and the morning after. I made arrangements to stay at a good friend’s home in Lafayette for the rest of the week. That’s because I had lymphatic drainage procedures and stitch removal scheduled on Days 3 and 5.

Surgery Day Notes

Dr. Odinet drew on my face where he would operate. Because my surgery would take five hours, I was given a general anesthetic to put me asleep.

After surgery, I looked like Dumbo the Elephant with my head bandage and large drains shaped like ears on either side of my head!

I was dressed and at the hotel that afternoon. I kept ice on my eyes the first 48 hours. (They looked so much worse than what they felt.)

Day 2 — The big bandage was taken off at my follow-up appointment. I was now sitting up.
Day 3 — Forehead stitches were removed during my first lymphatic drainage session. The massage felt incredible!
Day 5 — At my second lymphatic drainage appointment, more stitches were removed. I was then driven back home to Baton Rouge. I finally had no head bandage!
Day 6 — I felt great, but I was still swollen and bruised. I practiced putting on concealer and washed my hair.
Day 7 — Again, I felt great … but swollen.
Day 8 — I was driven back to Lafayette for my last visit. All the stitches were removed.

From that day forward, it was smooth sailing. Things look better each day.

Some Facts

  • I’m a bruiser, so I knew I would look more beaten up than other people would look.
  • The best part of it all was that I was totally prepared for what would happen. As far as any discomfort or pain was concerned, I knew what to expect, so I got ahead of any “pain” the first two days by taking my prescriptions on the exact time schedule. Because of that, I was able to get off of them on Day 3. I also kept the throbbing and swelling on my eyelids down by keeping ice or cold compresses on them for the first 48 hours.
  • I prepared myself for sleeping upright for a few nights.
  • I prepared to stay home and avoid any bending over for the first 4 or 5 days.
  • I also knew not to lift anything over 10 pounds for the first two weeks.


Face – It took two weeks for the major swelling to go down and six weeks to feel it completely subside.
Eyes – It took two weeks for the major swelling to go down.


Sleeping Pills – I used them on the first two nights.
Pain Meds – I quit taking them after Day 3.
Eye Cream – I used it religiously to help heal the inside lower eyelid sutures.
Vitamins, Arnica, etc. – I took those for the weeks before and after surgery per the nurses’ instructions.
Antibiotics – I was given an antibiotic to prevent infection.


I had a good bout of it for the first 2 weeks. After that, It was easy to cover it all with makeup fairly well.

The “Worst”

The most bothersome parts were my eyes. There was a gritty feeling with blurry vision from the swelling, the thick prescription eye salve, and the fact that I am a chronic dry eye sufferer.

The “Best”

A Shower on Day 3 and the lymphatic drainage massages in the first week took top billing.


  • Do your homework.
  • Listen to Dr. Odinet and his staff.
  • Follow your prescriptions and supplement regimen.
  • Plan ahead.
  • Line up help who won’t be scared by what you look like for the first week … or who might scare you by their reactions!
  • Don’t overdo it. You’ll feel great, but you aren’t … yet.
  • It never felt painful to me … and I’m a baby! I was sore, swollen, and uncomfortable at times, but I never felt pain.


It was so worth it!

Schedule a Consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.